Harman Kardon appears to be getting into it a bit late but here is the entry level model:
Harman/Kardon AVR 1565
This is a "budget friendly" home theater receiver. For the film lover or audiophile on a budget who doesn't want to compromise on quality. Like any home theater receiver you pair it with an HDTV or home theater projector and a media source like Blu-ray discs, DVDs, HDTV or take your gaming experience to the next level. Obviously, you'll be able to get your music to play with extreme clearity through this HK receiver as it does sport True power ratings @ 70wpc. For more on power ratings check here. You'll be able to immerse yourself in 5.1-channel surround sound (70 watts per channel) for your favorite entertainment to really round out the full experience.
In both audio and video capability, this receiver truly excels. It features HDMI version 1.4a with support for 3D and Deep Color, and can upconvert analog video signals to HDMI for pristine, clear visual displays no matter what source you're watching. It has an abundance of connections including three HDMI inputs, one component video and three composite video inputs, as well as three digital audio inputs and six analog audio inputs. Whether you have all-HD or mostly legacy/old equipment, you'll be able to hook them up to the AVR 1565 with ease.
- 5.1 Channels of Surround Sound
- Immerse yourself in multi-channel surround sound for your music, movies and video games. This receiver supports up to 5 channels with 70 watts of power for each, and has a subwoofer preout for additional heart-pumping bass. This receiver also features high-current capability (HCC) and an ultrawide-bandwidth amplifier design for accurate, dynamic sound so you can recreate theater-like sound effects in your setup.
- The Next Dimension of Home Theater Entertainment
- Experience the cinema in your own living room when you combine the AVR 1565 with a 3D TV and 3D Blu-ray discs or cable/satellite sources in 3D.
- Dolby TrueHD and DTS-Master Audio Decoding
- Since you need high resolution audio to match the exceptional sights of the Blu-ray disc format, the AVR 1565 supports decoding of multiple Dolby and DTS audio formats including lossless Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio.
- Logic 7 Processing
- Harman Kardon's proprietary Logic 7 processing transforms conventional stereo sources like CDs or iPods into 5.1 channel surround sound using their own algorithms. This allows for optimal audio quality to engulf you in a realistic sound field.
- Extensive Video Connectivity
- On the rear panel of the AVR 1565, you'll find 3 HDMI inputs so you can connect an array of devices like a Blu-ray player, set-top box, video gaming console and more. These connections carry HDMI version 1.4a as well as Deep Color for truly exceptional audio reproduction and video displays. If you have gear that's not HDMI-enabled, this receiver also offers one component and three composite video inputs.
- Analog to HDMI Upconversion
- You can still experience incredible clarity from your analog sources like DVDs -- this receiver is capable of analog to HDMI video upconversion to ensure optimal picture quality.
- Digital Audio Inputs
- This receiver has three digital audio inputs and six analog outputs, so you can connect to digital and analog recorders to widen your options.
- Connect Audio Devices
- Using the unit's stereo minijack, you can connect an alternate audio source like an iPod, laptop computer, tape deck, record player, or anything else with a 3.5 mm connector.
- Subwoofer Pre-out
- You can connect a powered subwoofer to the subwoofer preout to generate some serious bass while benefitting from triple-crossover bass management.
- Headphone Jack for Private Listening
- For an intimate, private listening experience the AVR 1565 has a headphone jack which features HARMAN headphone surround mode. This creates a realistic 5.1-channel surround sound experience from a single set of stereo headphones.
- On-Screen Display
- The highly intuitive on-screen display (OSD) offers great visibility, making this receiver easy to set up and use, even for home theater beginners. Offering simplicity, connectivity and superb quality, the on-screen display makes communicating with your AVR 1565 an uncomplicated experience.(While it's a text OSD, what can you expect at entry level. No manufacturer has a graphical display in this price range)
- Energy Saving
- The dot-matrix display allows you to listen to music and adjust the unit without even turning on your TV to save you energy. Additionally, the AVR 1565 has a screen saver function that prevents image burn-in if you have a CRT or plasma display, which is key to preserving high-end equipment for long-term use.
- Upgradeable Firmware via USB
- Keep this receiver up to date by setting it to receive the latest software upgrades automatically when they become available via the on-screen display.
- 70 watts X 5 with high-current and ultrawide bandwith capability
- Three HDMI v.1.4a inputs with 3-D and Deep Color
- Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio decoding
- Exclusive Harman Kardon Logic 7 processing for an encompassing 360 degree soundfield
- Extensive audio/video connectivity
If you're interested in other models?
-Harman Kardon AVR 1565
-Harman Kardon AVR 1650
-Harman Kardon AVR 2650
-Harman Kardon AVR 3650