Now Onkyo is an exceptional HTIB option. Not only does the receiver provide True Power(RMS) which makes it definately feasible to upgrade speakers successfully but it has all the digital connectivity and decoding capabilities required to create a solid home theater.
Taking the hassle out of home theater, Onkyo presents the HT-S5400 package: a full-featured A/V receiver coupled with a quality six-piece speaker set. To handle the latest Blu-ray, gaming, and cable/satellite devices, the receiver sports four new HDMI® inputs. HDMI opens the way to lossless, high-definition audio from Dolby and DTS, as well as immersive new 3D video content. It also supports a convenient Audio Return Channel from a compatible HDTV back to the receiver. Handy analog audio and video inputs on the receiver’s front panel make it easy to hook up your video camera or game console. And rounding out the connection highlights is a Universal Port that lets you connect peripherals such as an optional iPod/iPhone dock. Audyssey equalization filters work to optimize your audio experience, while an overlaid on-screen display allows seamless adjustment of the system’s settings during a session. A superbly balanced 5.1-channel speaker set completes the package.
Now for the price, you will be blown away at the number of features, decoding capabilities and product you get for your money.
Heres some of those features in summary :
Whether you're looking to pump high definition audio and video into your home theater for movies, music or games, the HT-S5400 is a solid choice that can get the job done. It offers a sleek design as well, to complement any home or home theater setup.
- 80 Watts per Channel at 8 Ohms, 20 Hz?20 kHz, 0.7%, 2 Channels Driven, FTC
- 4 HDMI Inputs and 1 Output, HDMI Support for 3D, Audio Return Channel, Deep Color, x.v.Color, LipSync, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio, DVD-Audio
- Direct Digital Connection of iPod/iPhone via Front-Panel USB Port
- Advanced Music Optimizer for Compressed Digital Music Files
- "Easy to Use" On?screen Display (OSD) via HDMI
- 800 Watts of 7.1 Channel Surround Sound
- Enjoy an enveloping 7.1 channel surround sound system to get the fullest experience from your favorite movies, music and games. The HT-S5400 offers 800 watts of audio power to fill your living room with clean, distortion-free audio that will make your entertainment come alive.
- HDMI 1.4 With Support for 3D and ARC
- Four HDMI 1.4 inputs and one HDMI 1.4 output offer the latest version of HDMI. These support 3D content, so you can enjoy the realistic, wraparound visuals that are found on more and more Blu-ray discs and games. If you already have a 3D HDTV or home theater projector, 3D glasses, and 3D-ready cable you're all set to enjoy 3D entertainment in your home theater. It also supports Audio Return Channel (ARC) so content can be directly received from your HDTV's tuner to be sent "upstream" via HDMI to the receiver without an additional S/PDIF cable. Need to know more about ARC and the benefits of 1.4a HDMI?
- Advanced Audio Decoding
- The HT-S5400 decoding capabilities? Dolby and DTS codecs like Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio, which offer lossless audio formats that are equivalent to the master recording. These are found on many Blu-ray discs and take advantage of the high data capacity of the Blu-ray disc format to give you a detailed, immersive sound field. This system also supports decoding of many more formats including Dolby Pro Logic II for 5.1-channel playback of your stereo audio sources.
- This function boosts low frequency output at two separate points, 40 Hz and 80 Hz. At low volumes, EX.bass creates a deeper, more dynamic bass sound for movies and music. When you have the volume turned higher, the boosted bass will return to normal levels.
- Burr-Brown D/A Converters for Jitter-Free Clean Audio
- Burr-Brown D/A converters work to optimize analog audio performance with advanced 192kHz-24-bit signal processing for all channels. They support sampling rates of up to 192kHz, while also providing resistance to clock jitter to give you clean, distortion-free audio.
- Audessy Dynamic Volume and Dynamic EQ
- The HT-S5400 comes with two Audessy sound-enhancing technologies. Audessy Dynamic Volume automatically compensates for volume fluctuations in different audio content like during commercials and optimizes the dynamic range. Audessy Dynamic EQ maintains a consistent bass response, tonal balance, and surround-sound effect at different volume levels. That means you can enjoy the natural dynamics of your entertainment content no matter what volume it's being played back at.
- Advanced Music Optimizer for Compressed Music Files
- This home theater system optimizes your MP3 and AAC files, since a significant amount of high-frequency bit information is lost when these files are compressed. Onkyo's Advanced Music Optimizer compensates for this lost bit information and to improve the quality of compressed audio signals. You'll hear your favorite music played back through the HT-S5400 with a more clear, expansive sound than ever before. This feature also includes a loudness correction to further improve the audio character of your compressed music files.
- Universal Port for Your iPod or iPhone
- The proprietary Onkyo Universal Port on the rear of the receiver lets you connect the optional UP-A1 dock for your iPod or iPhone. This universal port accepts audio and video signals through the same cable that sends a power supply from the receiver to your devices. You'll enjoy more connectivity with less cable clutter.
- Crossover Adjustment
- You decide at which frequency the subwoofer takes over. Allowing you to adjust your system in a manner for accurate sound.More information on subwoofer configuration?
- Overlaid OSD via HDMI
- The HT-S5400 makes changing settings easy with the overlaid on-screen display (OSD). On-screen setup menus appear overlaid on the video images you're watching so that you can make adjustments instantly, without switching back and forth from a blank screen background. There are a couple noticeable differences to th HT-S3400 previously reviewed.
- Key features of the Onkyo HT-S3400:
Key step-up features of the Onkyo HT-S5400:
- 5.1-channel HTIB
- Four HDMI inputs
- Advanced HDMI features like 3D pass-through and audio return channel (ARC)
- Onscreen graphical user interface (GUI)
- 7.1-channel HTIB
- Dolby Pro Logic IIz processing
- Can directly connect iPod/iPhone via front-panel USB port
- Powered subwoofer
The current prices show about $100 difference making this one the clear choice in my opinion. More "Bang for your Buck" from Onkyo.