Now if you have spent anytime reading my reviews you probably know I'm cheap as hell and love quality products for cheap. I refuse to sacrifice quality. With that being said, the Yamaha AVENTAGE Series provides solutions for every consumer from mid-range and up. I'll start here with the Yamaha RX-A700 at the bottom end of the line.
AVENTAGE SERIES Yamaha RX-A700 7.1-Channel
The RX-A700 comes with 6 HDMI inputs and one HDMI out which are version 1.4a that supports the current 3D standard. All video signals are upscaled to full HD 1080p. The advanced video processing chip handles motion and edge adaptive deinterlacing, and multi-cadence (incl. 3-2 pull-down) detection.
In the audio department the amplifiers outputs a decent 90W for each of the 7 channels. The amps are configurable for bi-amp connection, drive front presence speakers or Zone 2 connection.
For surround sound processing Yamaha has its proprietary CINEMA DSP technology that they tout is more advanced than Dolby Digital and DTS. The decoding circuitry also performs Dolby Pro Logic IIx, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital EX, DTS Digital Surround, DTS-ES (DTS-ES Matrix 6.1 and DTS-ES Discrete 6.1), DTS Neo:6 and DTS 96/24 decoding.
Tuning a multi-channel system is not an easy task. Room acoustics and speaker phasing are difficult issues to tackle. To handle this, Yamaha uses its own YPAO technology which is an automatic calibration system. With the aid of an included microphone included it automatically sets the equalization levels of all speakers by sending out calibration tones. The speakers are tuned according to their placement and room acoustics so they play back at correct levels relative to each other.
I own a high end Yamaha receiver from a couple years ago and I'll say the best thing with the AVENTAGE devices is the improved GUI portrayed in full color where you can fine-tune various elements of the system in relation to the room. I paid probably 4 times the price of this receiver and while it is a high end receiver and has many more options- the GUI looks like crap.
Yamaha uses Anti-Resonance Technology or A.R.T. It’s a fact that ground based and airborne vibration can damage the integrity of delicate electrical signals in the audio path. Rigidity of construction is important and Yamaha has taken the right approach by adding a fifth foot in the center of the bottom plate. It makes the chassis less susceptible to direct vibration.
- 90 watts x 7 into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.08% THD
- Dolby® TrueHD, and DTS-HD™ Master Audio, Dolby® Digital Plus, DTS-HD™ High Resolution Audio
- analog-to-HDMI video upconversion (up to 1080p)
- YPAO (Yamaha Parametric Room Acoustic Optimizer) for easy automatic speaker setup and more precise surround sound (microphone included)
- Cinema DSP modes add richness and presence to music and movie soundtracks
- Adaptive Dynamic Range Control keeps a lid on explosive sound effects for more discreet late-night listening
- Silent Cinema for simulated surround sound via standard stereo headphones
- Compressed Music Enhancer for better sounding MP3s and other digital music files
Digital Music Options:
- iPod/iPhone integration (requires optional Yamaha control dock)
- SIRIUS satellite radio capable (requires SIRIUS subscription and optional SiriusConnect™ home tuner kit)
- plays music wirelessly from compatible Bluetooth® devices (requires optional YBA-10 adapter)
- dual-room/dual-source output
- powered and line-level stereo audio output for 2nd room (using powered 2nd-room output allows 5.1 home theater in main room)
- only analog sources can be played in the 2nd room
Audio Performance Features:
- back surround speaker channels re-assignable for bi-amping compatible front left and right speakers
- Pure Direct mode switches off front-panel display, tone controls, and DSP circuitry for cleaner sound with analog audio sources
- 1080p-compatible HDMI switching: 6 in, 1 out (including 1 front-panel input)
- HDMI version 1.4a with support for 3D video, Audio Return Channel, Deep Color, x.v.Color, auto lip-sync, and HDMI-CEC
- Audio Return Channel function receives digital audio signals from a compatible HDTV's tuner via HDMI
- HDMI standby pass through allows signals to go to your TV without turning on the receiver
- component video switching (2 in, 1 out)
- digital audio inputs: 2 optical and 2 coaxial
- 3 audio/video inputs (including 1 front-panel) with composite video
- 2 audio-only inputs
- no phono input
- 7.1-channel analog audio preamp input
- 7.2-channel preamp output for connecting optional external amplifiers and up to 2 (mono) powered subwoofers
- 1 pair of main speaker outputs
Long story short. Well worth the money. While this is the bottom of the AVENTAGE line purchasing this product will be no sacrifice in quality.
Now back on to the subject of quality?