If you're looking for a big screen TV to compliment or build your home theater around, it looks like Mitsubishi has you in mind. Especially if you're looking for a massive screen. If you are thinking beyond the 60-inch, you need to explore an entirely different avenue where companies like Mitsubishi manufacture massive displays measuring 60 inches and above so you can finally make the most out of your living room space. The Mitsubishi WD-82838 is one of the largest displays in the lineup.
There is a lot of chatter about DLP being worn out old tech, but Mitsubishi appears to be developing nothing but. You cannot buy larger 3D HDTVs on the market. You should know the core technology used in these products is the same that is used in Movie Theaters.
Mitsubishi describes this television as follows:
The world's largest 3D Ready HDTV for the home, Mitsubishi's 82-inch Diamond Series WD-82838 1080p DLP Home Cinema HDTV offers almost four times the viewing area of a small screen 42-inch flat panel TV. Utilizing the same core DLP technology is used in the vast majority of 3D movie theaters, DLP technology is up to 1,000 times faster than LCD technology--providing for a more realistic, sharper 2D and 3D viewing experience. It comes equipped with 3D-ready viewing technology, providing the best option for enjoying 3D content in the home.
This 838 Series HDTV also provides concert quality sound in your home without the clutter of separate home theater components. Mitsubishi's innovative Immersive Sound Technology features 16 speakers built into the bottom of the front bezel directs perfectly balanced audio waves to reproduce 5.1 surround sound. It also includes Mitsubishi's Smooth 120 Hz technology for more fluid, natural and smoother fast moving images and Mitsubishi)x.v.Color--a new industry standard for HD Color, co-developed by Mitsubishi)
Other features include StreamTV Internet Media (with access to the VUDU HD movie rental site and more), four HDMI inputs, USB port for viewing photos and listening to music, and wireless Internet capabilities (using optional adapter).
82 inches is more than enough for Mitsubishi to fit 1920 x 1080 pixels on the display. Being twice the size of a standard 1080p display, Blu-ray titles and various video games simply look stunning and the 3 HDMI ports available allows a pretty standard home theater system to be built around this large display. Setting it up is easy too because the Easy Connection function displays a prompt asking you to key in a name as soon as you connect the device. Switching to the input is an easy experience too because any unused inputs are ignored to keep the menus uncluttered.
Mitsubishi's innovative Immersive Sound Technology features 16 speakers built into the bottom of the front bezel directs perfectly balanced audio waves to reproduce 5.1 surround sound.
(I can't really say I believe any speaker system like this does accurate 5.1 sound but really. Who buys a TV like this and uses the TV speakers? Well, maybe these two do.)
- 82-inch Digital Light Processing (DLP) panel uses Texas Instruments Digital Light Processing technology for rear-projection TVs to create the picture you see on screen.
- 3D TV: Experience the new 3D technologies applied to many recent movies and video games. Immerse yourself in your favorite video game, movie, or sporting event displayed in 3D (requires optional 3D eyewear).
- 1080p Full HD resolution (1920 x 1080 pixels)
- StreamTV Internet Media access provides instant access to an extensive library of high-quality entertainment and social media content. Grab your remote and choose from over 100 different streaming applications, including VUDU HD movie rentals, Pandora, Flickr, Picasa, Facebook, Twitter, Associated Press, The New York Times and more. VUDU Movies features the world's largest catalog of HD movies with more than 3,000 movies, and its HDX video format is the only streaming 1080p HD video with high resolution 5.1 Dolby Digital Plus surround sound available directly on Internet-connected televisions.
- Smooth120 technology for more fluid, natural motion from fast-moving video such as sports, action movies, and more.
- Plush1080p 5G 12-Bit video processing converts lower-resolution signals to 1080p to eliminate jagged pixelated imagery.
- 6-Color Processor takes the three primary colors (red, green, and blue) of the video signal and extracts three secondary colors (cyan, yellow, magenta) in order to individually process each color for greater accuracy.
- Dark Detailer provides enhanced contrast and black levels. It allows a wider palette of dark gray shades, giving a realistic sense of depth to the picture.
- DeepField imager constantly adjusts panel brightness and contrast to optimize the picture.
- EdgeEnhance technology enhances horizontal and vertical edges for a more precise picture with minimum distortion.
- PerfectColor and PerfectTint functionality gives you far more control over your on-screen picture with six independent color and tint adjustments to help you dial in the perfect picture.
- ISFccc advanced video adjustments contain the detailed standards necessary for professional calibration of brightness, contrast, tint, sharpness, color levels and much more to meet local lighting conditions for both day and nighttime viewing.
- Dolby Digital 5.1 sound processing
- Two USB ports enable you to play MP3 music and JPEG photo slideshows on this HDTV (one port provides accessory power only).
- Wired networking via Ethernet port
- Bluetooth audio streaming lets you wirelessly stream audio from any Bluetooth A2DP device (such as an iTouch/iPhone or Blackberry) to your Unisen TV.
|With/Without Dark Detailer|
Back Panel / Connectivity
- HDMI (with CEC): 4
- Component: 3
- Composite A/V: 3 (shared with Component)
- RF: 1
- Ethernet: 1
- USB ports: 2
- Digital audio output: 1 optical
- Subwoofer output: 1
- Center channel audio input: 1
(the 3DA-1, $99) or a 3D Blu-ray player(probably easier) that can output the Checkerboard display format (like Panasonic's DMP-BDT350). You'll also need to purchase active-shutter glasses of either the DLP Link or IR emitter variety. Mitsubishi offers the 3DC-1000 3D Starter Pack ($399) that includes the 3D Adapter, two pairs of active-shutter glasses, the IR emitter, an HDMI cable and a Disney 3D Blu-ray Showcase disc. Keep your eye on this!
I have to say, with all the hype out there for the new 3D LED TVs and the price attached? I think I prefer the idea of doubling my screen-size for my money. Especially with the option of ethernet connectivity, bluetooth streaming, usb connectivity and Stream TV.
FOR MORE INFORMATION ON CHOOSING SCREEN SIZE AND SCREEN PLACEMENT CLICK HERE
You know what I always say? Go big then go Home!